Hicks Hadley

Tenants FAQ's

As part of our application process we check all applicants’ credit history and seek references from current employers and previous landlord references.

Your employer reference is to ensure your income is correct as you have listed within your application and that you have the means to pay the rent and that the tenancy is sustainable for you.

The landlord reference is to help us ensure you are a reliable tenant who pays their rent on time and doesn’t cause damage to the property.

In undertaking a credit check we search for any adverse credit, court orders or CCJ’s issued against you previously. If you have a poor credit history, we may be able to offer you the option of a Guarantor, subject to landlord approval.

It is very important you are honest about your credit history on your application form when applying for a property, any attempt to mislead will result in your application automatically being rejected.

As listed within our application pack when you find a suitable property and wish to apply for that property you will need to supply the following supporting documents along with your application form:

  • Proof of ID, such as a passport or driving license
  • Proof of residence, a utility bill dated within the last 3 months
  • Proof of salary, we will require the last 8 weeks (if paid weekly) or 2 months (if paid monthly) wage slips
  • Proof of affordability, we require the last 2 months bank statements (where your salary is paid into)

Yes. Tenants will always have to pay a deposit, when renting from Hicks Hadley. A holding fee of one week of the monthly rent will be required, this will then be deducted from the first month’s rent on successful application of the property.

A security deposit is required to be used in case of any dilapidations or damage of the property during your tenancy (in excess of fair wear and tear).

Our standard deposit amount it equal to five weeks of the monthly rent.

All our deposits are protected with the Deposit Protection Scheme and tenants will be provided with all prescribed information relating to their deposit upon commencement of their tenancy or as required by current legislation. Further information relating to the scheme may be found here:http://www.depositprotection.com/.

As a tenant you must:

  • Pay your rent in accordance with your tenancy agreement
  • Payment of electric, gas, water, telephone and internet bills
  • Payment of council tax (if applicable)
  • Reporting any damage and repairs needed to the property as soon as possible
  • Living in the property in a ‘Tenant like’ manner, this means changing light bulbs and odd jobs etc
  • Repairing any damage to the property which you may have caused, this includes unblocking toilets or sinks which you have blocked due to misuse.

Fair wear and tear is the standard deterioration of items under going normal use. When an Inventory Clerk assesses if the condition of a property has been subject to fair wear and tear or excessive dilapidation there are a number of items to consider and they are as follows:

  • The original age, quality and condition of any item at commencement of the tenancy
  • The average useful lifespan to value ratio (depreciation) of the item
  • The reasonable expected usage of such an item
  • The number and type of occupants in the property
  • The length of the tenants’ occupancy

It is important to note there is a difference between cleanliness and fair wear and tear.

Our tenancy agreements state that you cannot redecorate or make alterations to the property without express written permission from the Landlord or their agent.

If you would like to redecorate or make any alterations we would require a sample of the colour you wish to paint, or a sample of the wall paper you wish to use, and a plan of exactly which walls you wish to redecorate.

We will then contact the landlord and if they are in agreement we would write to you, granting permission and explaining if the landlord is happy for the new redecoration to remain when you vacate the property or if the landlord would like the property returned to its original decoration, upon vacation.

A file note will be placed upon your property file, for the purposes of the book-out when you vacate your property.

In accordance with your tenancy agreement, express written permission from your landlord will be required in such cases. If the property is managed by Hicks Hadley, you will need to submit a request to us in writing and we will then make the request on your behalf. It is important that you do not arrange to have any alterations or additional services installed until you have received confirmation in writing. This will prevent misunderstandings at the end of your tenancy and help protect your deposit.

It is likely that you will sign an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) Agreement. In some cases, for example if the tenancy is a company rather than individuals, a Common Law Tenancy Agreement is applicable. All agreements are ‘joint and several’, this means that all tenants are responsible for all the rent.

Each tenancy will receive one complete set of keys plus additional front door keys for all other named tenants.

Tenants must make the property available to be view by Hicks Hadley or their landlord when requested, provided at least 24 hours notice has been given. In normal circumstances we will only require access in case of maintenance or for Hicks Hadley to undertake their routine property inspection visits.

However, the landlord should also grant you quiet enjoyment of the property and should therefore not ask to visit unless it is necessary to do so.

Once it has been confirmed that you will be leaving at the end of your tenancy, you will be asked to provide access for viewings during the last two months of your tenancy.

A routine property inspection visit is carried out during the tenancy by a Hicks Hadley representative to ensure that the property is in a good condition and there is no evidence of maintenance issues that may worsen if not dealt with quickly. It is an opportunity to speak to you about the property and ensure you are happy within your home and have no concerns. We will always write to you beforehand giving at least one week notice (normally we give over one months notice) to advise when each routine visit is due. Our visits are undertaken in working hours on a Thursday. You will be required to facilitate access for property visits to be undertaken. Our representative will able to use our management set of keys for access if you cannot be present. (However, we would always confirm with you before gaining entry using our management set of keys).

Request a Valuation

Contact us today to arrange a FREE valuation of your property.

Book Now

Follow Hicks Hadley on Facebook Follow Hicks Hadley on Instagram Follow Hicks Hadley on Twitter